Friday, May 10, 2013

Body Image and Our Crap Culture

There has been a lot of talk about body image lately. I loved the article I read this week about being strong (not skinny). 

I would just like to point out that women in the real world... 

Those of us who chase kids, manage households, are active in our community, have jobs to go to everyday... Women that make this world go 'round. Women like *your* mother... Minus the small percent who are thin or athletic by nature... Are not going to look like the 18 year model who starves herself for a photo shoot; or the pop star whose job it is to be thin. 

Duh!!!!

Im naturally big boned. I have hips and an ass. (And I always thought that was supposed to be sexy?!?!) I have a few extra pounds, because I don't devote the precious minutes I have to think about myself to vanity. I certainly do not starve myself (I don't want to be a cranky mommy). 

Good diet and an active lifestyle are important, but we seriously have  to stop expecting grown women to look like teenage girls. I think that is the thing that gets me the grumpiest in all of this. 

I never expect to be a size 4, because at 135 pounds I was a size ten (hips... Duh!!!). So when I see a "curvy" woman or one with a few extra pounds, I think they look like an adult in the real world. 

I'm not saying eat a ton of junk and loaf around and be huge. I'm saying, women need to love each other and themselves enough. And men seriously... Some of you just need to get a clue. 

I don't expect a 35 year old mother of 4 to be shaped like her 16 year old daughter. And that is literally what is going on these days. There has to be some intelligent, sensible thought applied to this. 

Our culture is image obsessed. And it turns out there are a lot of vapid idiots walking around looking stick thin in bikinis and saying I'm the gross one? What?!

My life is not about looking good to impress strangers. Life is about so much more than that! Women... Please do not waste your life away worrying about that extra ten pounds. You are worth so much more than the number on your scale. 

Also side note: since when it is attractive to look like you're sickly and struggling? I think people who look like they are happy and thriving are so much more attractive! (Whether they are a 4 or a 16.)

By the way, I love my curvy, woman's body. I have things I want to improve like anyone else, but over all I like the way I look. I think that's why I focus more of my free time on intellectual pursuits. And if you hadn't heard, smart is the new skinny ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment