Wednesday, August 21, 2013

I don't want your power. I don't have a need for it. (Translated from French)

I translated a song that really had an impression on me.



I don’t want your power. I don’t have a need for it
I am not your mirror, but your nightmare.
I don’t want your glory. I live with hope.
I don’t want your power. Here is my story.

I am like a child. Naïve and without limitation.
Like you’ve already seen, and your gaze is disappointing.
You run after time. But time passes quickly.
Me, I am here. I walk. And I live in the present moment.
I just wanted a life, me too.
The mountains often, but mine are made of rocks and yours of money.

I don’t want your power. I don’t have a need for it.
I am not your mirror, but your nightmare.
I don’t want your glory. I live with hope.
I don’t want your power. Here is my story.

I live off bread, laughter, and sun.
You give to others, and don’t finish the deal.
Those who give me their hand.  Those who give me their ear.
I have found treasures that you will never have.
I just wanted a life, me too.
The mountains often, but mine are made of honey and yours of money.

I don’t want your power. I don’t have a need for it.
I am not your mirror, but your nightmare.
I don’t want your glory. I live with hope.
I don’t want your power. Here is my story.

If you could have stopped yourself.
On the side of the road.
If you could have stopped yourself.
You would have understood, no doubt.
Power and happiness are neither brothers nor cousins.
I won’t go. I am not afraid to serve myself in your garden.

I don’t want your power. I don’t have a need for it.
I am not your mirror, but your nightmare.
I don’t want your glory. I live with hope.
I don’t want your power. Here is my story.



1 comment:

  1. Very good!

    I can only wonder if you improved upon the French, or if the song is even better than the translation?

    The line: "I am not your mirror, but your nightmare" somehow reminds me of Bob Marley's, "If you are a tll tree, I have a small axe."

    " If you could have stopped yourself.
    On the side of the road." begins a really interesting thought: The Libertarian idea of self restraint, asking the power grubber, or asking the power-grubber why he had to do as he did. But then the final line shakes me. The idea of taking from another's garden, even if it is a power-grubbers, shakes me. But then, we might ask, "Is this the same as the collectivists entitlement to the the fruits of others? Maybe not. The lyicist's fearless threat to-take is from one individual power-grubbers garden.

    It all comes back to, " If you could have stopped yourself.
    On the side of the road." Of course, the power-grabber didn't stop himself on the side of the road and had to grub and grub and grub. So here we are.

    I see this song, errr this stanza as applicable to our current 'so-here-we-are:' PERS debt which the taxpayer is supposed to cover. In the song, the lyricist is not afraid to take from the grubbers garden. Should the taxpayer be afraid to refuse to pay the PERS liabilities?

    ReplyDelete