Monday, July 29, 2013

Featured Artist :)

I'm very excited to showcase the political cartoons of a friend, here on my blog.




Joel Henske


What inspired you to begin cartooning?.
I remember being just out of high school and at the time I was starting to think for myself (so to speak), and there was this guy on the radio I was listening to, and he said something very profound. And I remember saying to myself, his words would make such a good picture. So I started drawing these simplistic stick figure pictures on the computer.

How do you pick your topics?
I try to pick topics that are very simplistic but blatantly obvious. And I try to use humor to illustrate the obvious points in the pictures. My inspiration usually comes something somebody said or something I read. I feel like the best way to reach people on intellectual levels is through humor, so if I can illustrate some atrocity the government is committing or some economic principle through a standalone picture and make someone laugh at the same time, especially if they don’t have the same beliefs, then at least that’s a start.

Tell us about your involvement with YAL
We had a Youth for Ron Paul chapter at Central Oregon Community College during the 2012 campaign that we transferred it over to a Young Americans for Liberty chapter. We were one of the most active YAL chapters in Oregon. And I am trying to help grow the youth liberty movement in Oregon through involvement with YAL.

 Tell us something fun about yourself
Something fun… I love to play paintball, chess, and do martial arts (I am currently doing Wing Chun and BJJ). Other than that I just take it easy and hang with friends.

What do you think your next cartoon project will be?
I think my next picture will be on the topic of healthcare. I’ve had a particular idea for quite some time that I want to illustrate. So, maybe before August I’ll get it done.


No comments:

Post a Comment