Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Why I cried or My angry break up with Facebook

I'm so angry I can't sleep. My dad has cancer, and it makes my heart hurt to even think about. Today I deleted my Facebook. I was angry at something a family member said as a comment to a post. It was a post about prohibition. I'm extremely anti-drug prohibition. If you don't know that about me then you aren't paying attention. (I don't use drugs, by the way. Just to clear that up.)

The comment was pretty opinion based. It was wrong, just based on historical facts and modern statistics. That's fine. But then she went on to say that people who use medical marijuana are "whiners". And that she didnt when she had brain cancer, and neither would my dad.

Let me tell you...the real anger over that comment slowly crept in like some kind of deadly poison. It took over an hour to manifest. And then I sobbed like a little girl.

 For several reasons. 

My sister uses marijuana for a stomach disorder. It's overseen by her doctor. My friend treated his daughters cancer with it. And my mother and I both hoped my dad would consider natural treatments, rather than go into chemo AGAIN.

This man raised me. This man is my father. Don't you dare use him to prove some point you're trying to make.

How do you tell a relative you are soooo angry and that you think their opinion is based solely on emotion? If a stranger said those things to me I could call them an idiot and walk away unscathed. This hurts. This half thought, selfish comment hurts my heart and poisons my soul.

I get called wrong all the time on facebook. And that's exhausting, because I have small children. They don't listen; I feel like no one listens. Everyone is busy having their opinion and being right. Everyone is too busy telling other people they are wrong. People are on the defense, looking for a quarrel where there isn't one.

My opinions are based in hard fact. I'm a major nerd and I do copious amounts of research. In fact, there are a ton of things I have zero opinion on because I haven't done adequate research yet. And I will still admit I may be wrong about things.

 My main belief is that violence is wrong, no matter who is perpetrating it; an individual or a government. It's radical, I've been made aware. (And that makes my heart sad too.)

 I have a disclaimer on my page that says every thing I post is simply food for thought. Yet I still get treated this way by family. Strangers are even worse yet. Who talks to people that way?!

So today I deleted my Facebook. I'm done being told I'm wrong. I'm done being poisoned. This is the end of my being angry. Eff you Facebook drama. Peace out.

1 comment:

  1. Update: I know no one says the things they do to intentional hurt my feelings. And that is part of the problem. Also, apparently there was a huge group of people who never saw any of my numerous posts about having two accounts, or feeling fragile. That's a major problem with indirect communication, like you have on these social networking sites. Another reason to stay the heck away from it. P.S. I still don't know what to do with my hands today. xD

    ReplyDelete